Corporate Social Responsibility
As a forward thinking company, we are naturally also a socially responsible one. We recognise that our business must be operated not only for profit, but also for the preservation of the environment and for the good of the community of which we are a part. We're committed to environmentally friendly initiatives and policies by monitoring and reducing consumption levels and costs in ways that generate revenue without compromising our corporate and social responsibilities mandate outlined below.
Our employees play an active role in identifying and implementing eco-friendly policies, and all staff are required to comply with the mandate.
- Accessibility for all
- Community support
- Environmental policy
- Standards management
- Greenhouse gases
- Daily actions
- Hazardous substances
- Local communities
- Local support
Accessibility For All
We understand that every guest has different needs and we aim to make our hotel facilities available and accessible to all guests equally. In rare instances where this is not possible, we will endeavour to offer a range of facilities for guests with a perspective on disability including:
- Designated car parking
- Accessible entrance, WC and bedrooms
- Induction loops can be arranged on request
- Assistance dogs welcome
Collaborative and community minded, we will always support local community projects and assist local charities, with each request given due consideration. We also operate environmental impact programmes for each hotel.
All activities, donations and sponsorships raised by guests, suppliers and staff will contribute to the Company's objective of supporting local charities.
We acknowledge that the environment can potentially be impacted by any of our activities, operations or services. This policy sets out how the Company will manage, monitor, measure and otherwise be accountable for its ongoing environmental performance.
In the implementation of this policy, we will adhere to the requirements of relevant local, national and international law pertaining to the environmental aspects and impacts of the Company and ensure that this policy is consistently observed in line with those requirements.
We are committed to preventing pollution of any kind wherever possible and will ensure that, as well as optimising new products, services and processes to expedite this prevention, existing systems and processes are reviewed in order to identify areas for pollution prevention. For each product, service, system or process, this will be achieved by:
- eliminating the use of polluting materials or technologies;
- reducing the use of polluting materials or technologies;
- recycling or reusing materials within The Montcalm London Marble Arch ;
- transferring materials or waste outside of The Montcalm London Marble Arch for recycling or reuse; and,
- controlled disposal or incineration where there is no other option
We will integrate environmental management procedures, processes and planning with the general operations of the Company to maximise the potential reduction of our environmental impacts.
Through the use of environmental performance evaluation procedures and key performance indicators, we will seek continual improvement in our environmental performance. This will be achieved through the proper implementation of our environmental management system, the design, development and management of which is the responsibility of the Company's senior management.
Through the implementation of this policy, we will set a leading example of good environmental management for the hospitality industry.
The Environment Policy is everyone's responsibility, from kitchen porter to senior executive team, and sets out the responsibility for environmental performance including the development and maintenance of an adequate system of management, measurement and improvements.
- All actions comply with relevant regulations
- Business is conducted with due regard to the environment, its habitats and biodiversity
- The business operations are regularly assessed for compliance with policy, performance and achievement of targets
- Environmental considerations are taken into account in all major business decisions
- Employees are encouraged to work in an environmentally responsible manner
- Suppliers are encouraged to operate in an environmentally responsible manner and such encouragement is made a condition of any supply
- Where appropriate, encourage support from customers by providing them with products and services that are environmentally responsible in use
- Customers are made aware of all environmental policies in the specific areas where they are in direct contact
- The company will report regularly on its environmental performance
The Company's Commercial Director is responsible for our overall environmental performance, which is reported to the Board of Directors, and for the management of the following standards:
- Develop and thereafter maintain an adequately documented environmental recording and reporting system
- Ensure that the implications for the environment are taken into consideration in all major business decisions
- When tendering for new suppliers, their environmental and CSR credentials will be assessed before awarding business
- Develop and thereafter maintain a record of formal written comments concerning environmental performance and set targets for their reduction
- Assess the business regularly for compliance with this policy
- Reduce the use of energy through awareness programmes and through designing efficiency into new buildings, equipment, travel, transport and other working practices.
- Review targets for the reduction of energy consumption.
- Monitor report and update.
- Reduce the use of water and materials through awareness programmes and through designing efficiency into new buildings, equipment and working practices.
- Set and meet targets for the reduction of utility consumption. Monitor, report and update this annually.
- Reduce, reuse or recycle solid waste where economically and environmentally sensible. When these options are not available, dispose of solid waste in the most environmentally responsible manner.
- Set targets for the reduction of waste produced. Monitor, report and update these annually.
The following is a selection of initiatives that The Montcalm Luxury Hotels adopt to help reduce, re-use and recycle:
- Dual flush toilets to save water
- Energy efficient windows to improve thermal performance resulting in a reduced requirement for heating in winter and air conditioning in summer
- Dedicated recycling unit
- Separate walk in showers to encourage guests to use the shower instead of the bath, thereby saving water
- Re-use of furniture and fittings after our refurbishments by donating to local charities and businesses
- Installation of low energy light bulbs
- Favour supplies derived from recycled materials or renewable resources
Each day, the teams in all of The Montcalm Luxury Hotels take the following actions to make their contribution to helping the environment:
- Recycling of paper, plastic, cardboard, glass, mobile phones, waste cooking oil, toner cartridges and dry cleaning coat hangers
- Encouraging the re-use of towels
- Provide newspapers on request to avoid wastage and recycle any spares
- Daily monitor water/gas/electricity consumption to aid reducing consumption levels
- Bulk purchase of chemicals
- Chemical dosage dispensers
- Donate soap bars and toiletries to charity
- Compact waste so less collections required
- Encourage car share
- Encourage cycling to work and provide cycle rack facilities plus a discount on cycling goods with local retailers
- Encourage the use of local public transport and provide related information
- Purchase recycled goods
- Provide environmental awareness and training as part of the new staff induction programme
- Ongoing environmental and awareness training
- Have a dedicated environmental group driving forward new initiatives
- Use conference call phones between properties to minimise travel. If travel is absolutely necessary, rail is the preferred option where possible
- Promotion of our environmental policy and awards to clients by our sales team
- Co-ordinate in advance staff taxi journeys and pick-ups to minimise number of taxi journeys
We strive to reduce the use of hazardous or non-degradable chemicals and will work with our suppliers and partners to encourage the use of environmentally friendly soaps and detergents for laundering bed linen and towels. Where the use of such substances is unavoidable, we train staff in their handling and disposal and take precautions to minimise the impact of spillages.
We also aim to reduce the use of ozone depleting substances in supplied packaging materials, refrigerants and fire suppression systems by specifying new equipment that is free of such materials and by replacing existing systems as directed by legislation. Staff are COSHH trained.
Working With Our Local Communities
We work to:
- reduce as far as commercially practicable the level of harmful or nuisance emissions
- collect used cooking oil and recycle it through a licensed contractor
- conduct business in a responsible manner with due regard to the hotels' immediate environment, particularly at unsociable hours and in relation to noise, odour, lighting, litter, uncollected waste or deliveries and collections
- maintain building exteriors, outdoor equipment and grounds to create a positive visual impact within the hotel's community
- introduce contingency plans for major incidents to reduce their environmental impact
- There are many ways in which we support our local environment, local services and suppliers, such as:
- Providing information to guests on walks, wildlife and parks
- Providing information to guests on walking and jogging routes from the hotel
- Providing cycle hire information to guests
- Providing local transport service information to our staff and guests
- Implementing a purchasing policy to ensure the hotels use eco-friendly chemicals, local and sustainable produce with minimal transport and packaging